Nature-based Early Childhood Educator at Connolly Ranch
Position Summary: Connolly Ranch Education Center seeks a passionate, playful, creative, and energetic Early Childhood Educator for our outdoor, nature-based programs for children ages 2-6. The ideal candidate is confident in leading large groups of children (15-30) with a background that includes experience with farm animals, organic gardening, hiking, cooking, art and developing activities that engage young children in innovative and meaningful experiences in nature.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and teach nature-based, developmentally appropriate programming in conjunction with other members of the teaching team.
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Ensure the physical and emotional health, safety, and welfare of all participants.
- Create a welcoming family environment and effectively communicate with parents and caregivers about their children specifically and the program in general.
- Assist the Early Childhood Education Director in assessing and tracking the development of individual children, assessing needs, and planning based on those needs.
- Train and supervise support staff in partnership with the ECE Director.
- Design and set up varied and seasonal outdoor learning spaces and environments.
- Plan for equipment and supply needs in collaborations with other staff.
- Manage daily routines including setup, cleanup and basic administrative duties.
- Participate in staff meetings and special events as appropriate to ensure connection with the rest of the staff and the community.
- Administrative duties such as sign-in sheets, social media, rosters, follow-up emails, etc.
- Be an active member of the Connolly Ranch team which includes being a representative for the ranch during certain events each year: Harvest Festival, Earth Night, Dinner at the Ranch, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- 12 or more units in Early Childhood Education or related field. Certification in Early Childhood Special Education preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- PC Proficiency and ability to work with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and other online programs
- 2 or more years of experience working with children ages 3-5 in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate program. Experience and/or familiarity of Reggio Emilia Approach preferred.
- Active interest in the natural world and a commitment to its use as a central and daily learning and play environment.
- Aptitude/comfort with learning basic natural history/ecology
- Personal commitment to an eco-friendly, green and sustainable lifestyle
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; ability to be a creative and flexible team player
- Able to speak clearly, positively, and effectively with both children and families.
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently and to creatively problem solve.
- Strong organizational, time-management, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR, or willingness to pursue certification.
- Must pass complete background check.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical exertion indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions, and on difficult and varied terrain while supervising young children.
- Ability to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, pull, push, sit without back support, and lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and 10-35 pounds frequently.
- Reliable transportation.
Must be able to work some nights and weekends depending on events.
Reports to: Early Childhood Education Director
Compensation: $14-18 per hour
Approximate Hours: 10-30 hours per/week
Application Procedure: Send Early Childhood Education Application, resume, cover letter and names and contact information for three references to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: until position is filled