Education and Camp Manager
The Education Manager and Camp Director is responsible for leading, managing and overseeing field trips and seasonal camps and the educational staff and volunteers that implement these programs. S/He is responsible for maintaining the educational integrity of our farm-based educational programming for school-aged children and youth up to ages 18. The Education Manager plays a key role on the management team and collaborates with staff, the Board and the Executive Director to provide inspirational and strategic direction. This role involves teaching and leading educational staff in natural environments and creating outdoor teaching spaces that facilitate hands-on, interactive learning.
- Strong organizational abilities, time management skills and ability to effectively plan ahead across the program season, and to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills and out-of-the-box thinking, including the ability to successfully design and launch new initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills and public communication abilities, including excellent customer service, management, writing and public speaking skills.
- Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Experience in hiring, training, motivating, and supporting educational staff (especially seasonal staff).
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team; ability to develop effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Computer proficiency in the following: word processing, simple accounting, databases, spreadsheets, email.
- Successful completion of background check and periodic screening
- First Aid and CPR certification previously completed or obtained within 30 days of employment and maintained throughout employment.
- Oversee ACA Accreditation process, maintain accreditation, attend workshops and trainings and ensure compliance of ACA standards
- Responsible for leading dynamic, educational and enriching summer camp operations and year-round farm-based, outdoor education programs
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Camp, ensuring the safe operations of all Connolly Ranch camps and meeting all
- Evaluate current curriculum, design, develop, implement and teach hands-on, interactive, farm-based curriculum that is aligned with Common Core and Next Generation standards and partner with local schools and school districts.
- Work with the Executive Director, Board and other key partners to identify strategic opportunities for current and new education programs, identify needed resources and successfully launch and implement these initiatives.
- Recruit, hire, train, manage, and conduct performance evaluations on seasonal camp and field trip staff.
- Evaluate and potentially implement Docent program including recruitment, training, and cultivating docent relationships
- Oversee programming, bookings and schedules for all field trip groups and other educational programs as assigned.
- Document program activities and lesson plans.
- Regularly evaluate and track metrics for educational programs.
- Outreach to schools, partners, local groups and parents to increase participation in educational programs and events.
- Work with Executive Director to set reasonable targets, track expenses and ensure assigned programs are operating according to the approved budget.
- Work closely with key staff at the farm, especially marketing, to ensure education program business goals (including registration numbers) are achieved.
- Identify, seek and secure targeted grant funding that supports strategic organizational objectives and facilitates program growth and impact.
- Design, implement and evaluate regular program reviews to ensure the program goals for participant satisfaction and learning outcomes are met; Communicate regularly with parents and teachers.
- Work closely with Early Childhood Education Director, Executive Director and Ranch Manager to ensure education programs are well integrated into other aspects of the farm’s operations, and taking advantage of possible organizational synergies.
- Oversight and management in partnership with Ranch Manager of garden and other facilities to ensure areas are ready, safe and prepared for school groups and camps.
- Work closely with leadership teams, staff and Board to design and create physical spaces that facilitate learning.
- Lift and carry up to 50lb.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Functions:
- 5 year combined education and experience in outdoor leadership, nature-based education, environmental studies, environmental education
- 2+ years management experience
- Be proactive in developing and managing relationships with key partner organizations, including other non-profit and schools, to help strengthen existing programs and identify opportunities for new programs. Participate in community events and meetings as appropriate.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of the latest developments in the field of nature-based environmental education, sustainable food systems and agriculture, as well as experiential education, and evolve and improve program curriculum to ensure Connolly Ranch is “best in class” and a leader in hands-on farm-based education.
- High level of professionalism, collaboration and exceptional interpersonal skills, a self-starter able to prioritize in complex situations
- Ability to build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Excellent public speaking, writing, creative writing, and editing capabilities required
- Strong affinity, passion or experience in farm-based/nature-based education, sustainability, outdoor education, environmental stewardship, garden-based/farm-to-table education preferred, but not required
- A self-starter who works well independently and in groups, ability to organize and prioritize work and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities with little day-to-day supervision. Superior time management skills, multi-tasking abilities, and team-playing skills.
- Creative, resourceful and flexible.
- Ability to solve problems in the moment of an event with confidence and in a calm manner.
- Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Initiative, follow-through, sound and accurate judgment with an ability to support and
explain reasoning for decisions, include appropriate people in decision-making process,
and ensure timely decisions are made.
- Able to lift and carry up to 45 pounds on a regular basis; ability to stand and walk on rugged terrain for 8+ hours a day and comfortable in natural environments.
- Successful completion of background check and periodic employee screening.
- Must be available to work some nights and weekends, especially during events.
- Lead farm tours as needed.
- Ability with use of Spanish language (written and spoken) a plus
How to Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and education manager application to: email@example.com with subject: Education Manager & Camp Director Position. Preference for pdf files. Position to be filled as soon as the right candidate is identified.
Salary Range: $60,000-65,000 and commensurate with experience. Plus, additional benefits including vacation, sick and holiday paid time off, wellness and professional development stipend and the many benefits and rewards of working on an educational farm.
Connolly Ranch provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Education Manager & Camp Director Application (word doc available upon request)